Tuesday, March 4, 2014

On Photography

Susan Sontag begins this excerpt by simply stating that one is educated by photography because photographs subconsciously teach one a new visual code, by discreetly narrowing what is worth looking at and what one has the right to observe. This idea of photography has made several believe they can contain and capture images of the world within their minds. By collecting these photographs, one is ultimately collecting the world and history. Photography captures experiences that can teach one about the past world and also capture the memories one wishes to never forget. Photographed images, like select bits of history, should not be interpreted as statements of the world, but rather pieces of the world. 
I love this idea: collecting photographs, one collects the world. I love to look back on my vacations to California and my most recent adventure to France. Looking back on these photographs, I can channel happiness but also yearn to collect more knowledge about other places, as well as the many friendships that can be found there. Collecting and capturing photographs is a great way to educate one’s self, but I also believe it is important to live in the moment and capture a scene or image, mentally. 
I believe this quote summarizes this idea perfectly: “If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don’t like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it” (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty). It is important, especially in this world of technology, to value beauty when we behold it.  Sadly I believe this has been lost due to technology and the reproduction of art; but we can rediscover and value beauty if we just step away from the distractions and allow ourselves to absorb what lies before us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment