Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Self-Portrait

      For my Illustration 205 Final, the class was assigned to create a triptych with three sheets of 18x24 paper. Our teacher wished that everyone choose  an artist, technique, or movement that we found interesting during our studies of several mediums this the semester. After deciding on our subject material, we would execute the triptych employing and mastering three different mediums that we studied these past few months.  
      After researching several different artists, I decided that the artist Mucha was jus my cup of tea. His technique and style appealed to me so much, I found myself getting lost in his works. I had the desire to imitate one of his artworks, but my teacher wanted me to add a piece of myself into the artwork, therefore; making it my own. I am truly happy that he encouraged me to do so because I loved working from my imagination and creating with my own hand. 
     I utilized three specific mediums: color pencil, watercolor, and ink. The process of applying the mediums was rather long but it was completely worth it once I had the finished result. 
     In the two corners, I created symbols that reflected my personality and my love for certain things.  The right corner contains a fleur de lys symbolizing my fluency in the French language while the moon and three stars represent my love for the night air and the enchanting night sky. While in the left corner, there is a triquetra symbolizing my long Irish heritage, as well as, my catholic faith. A wolf encircles this symbol, representing my love for the animal but also for Irish Wolfhounds and the snowflakes and stars again symbolize the beauty of the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment